Friday, February 3, 2012

Mature Online Dating Works!




I was in my early fifties and had been divorced for a couple of years. In that time I had not connected with anybody, so, like many other people nowadays, I turned to online dating. I had always assumed that internet dating was something that just younger people did, so I really did not expect very much. Like I said, I was desperate and could not think of anything else to try. I actually was not even going to try online dating, but my friends and sisters sort of twisted my arm to do it. I created a profile that said a bit about myself. I was careful to leave out anything that would let someone find my home or place of work. I am such a Luddite with computers that I had to actually get a friend to upload the photos that my sister selected for my profile. At that point, I just sat back and waited to see what would happen, not expecting too much.

It did not take too long before I was in the thick of things, getting responses, emailing people and setting up dates to meet people if they passed the test I made up for myself. As I got further into it, I decided that there were a few guys that I wanted to meet in person. Chatting and emailing online is one thing, but you need to meet to know if there is any real chemistry between you. I used a restaurant a few blocks from where I worked as my rendezvous. Since I knew some of the staff, I felt safer there than any other place I could think of. With all the e-mails, messages, in person meetings and phone calls I was exhausted.But I forced myself to stick it out. I wasn’t sure how long I could keep this pace up, but I was determined that after a twenty year relationship that ended two years ago I was not going to spend the rest of my life alone.

I felt most comfortable in my life being part of a long term relationship. I thrived on that and really wanted to find someone to have in my life again. I noticed that even though I was still talking to several men, one of them seemed to be on my mind continuously. His profile showed that he was not self absorbed and it was very well written. Articulate but concise. He seemed to be really in touch with the so called “feminine side” of himself. I was surprised about how often he asked me how I felt about things. When you talk to most men about things that are troubling you, they instantly try to tell you how to fix it. He was not like that. He would often talk to me for a long time delving into my feelings about things before ever venturing an opinion. My first instinct was that he was gay and just pulling my leg, but I later realized that hew was the genuine article. He was just a very empathic person who cared about everybody. He could not stand that fact that some people treated women like second class citizens. In fact, he took it as a personal affront. He told me that he had not always been so open minded, but he had spent many years in Europe, and had seen what can happen when people let outside cultures influence society's mores. He had been transferred back to our city fairly recently.

I had traveled to Europe several times. On top of this, we both shared a love of most winter sports. We often chatted about our impression of various cities, and which ski resorts did we like the best.  His picture had looked a little fuzzy so it was difficult to see what he looked like, but I was willing to throw caution to the wind and talk to him anyway. When we first decided to talk over the phone, I was nervous about giving him my number. I convinced him to give me his instead. At first I was too nervous to call him after he gave me his number. I finally did get around to calling him, but it took me a while. It was good that I did.

“He was fantastic, charming so sweet and such a gentleman. He was just so amazing. In real life he was even better than online. So sweet, and always a gentleman. He turned out to be an incredibly sweet and charming guy. Always a gentleman. For that first date we met at a nice little restaurant that we were both familiar with. I got there first, worried that it would make me look needy, but I could not help myself. I am compulsive about being early to everything. My biggest concern was that we would not click. As I sat trying to not look to eager as I gazed at the door, in he walked. He was simply stunning! I managed to pull my jaw off the table by the time he got there. He was just so much more than I expected. He was tall and slim. Dark hair with just a touch of grey at the temples. His suit fit him like a glove. What a picture. I was in complete awe. We talked and laughed and shared some personal stories. Time was streaming by but I could not stop it. I did not want it to have to end. It was too bad that we were only planning a meal together. The time was going by too fast.  Later on he paid the bill and drove me right to my front door. He then leaned over and kissed me on the cheek. I was on cloud nine.

We had several more dates after that, and it seemed that every date was better then the one before. But something began to bother me. I had not been exactly truthful about my age in my profile. My friends had convinced me to exaggerate a little. Just take a few years off and when he finds out later, well maybe it won't matter. I had only shaved three years off of my age, No big deal. But nobody likes to be lied to. It is a breach of trust, and once broken can become a huge issue in a relationship. It was not good that I had started our relationship with a lie. I knew that I needed to tell him the truth, but I kept waiting for the right time to present itself.

He took me to a little club he liked for a drink one night. The waiter is a friend of his so when he asked to see my I.D I knew that Max (my honey) had put him up to it. So just for fun I took my drivers licence out to show him, we all had a good chuckle about it. Max put out his hand and the waiter just passed him my license. He glanced at it, and then took a second look. He stared at me and said, “Wow! It says here you are fifty four!” I just sat there not knowing what to say. Then he started laughing like an idiot! He said, “Well I guess the joke is on me. I lied about my age too!” As it turned out he was older than he stated in his profile. It seems he's two years older than me and not two years younger. We spent the next few minutes talking and laughing about the fact that we both had been caught.

We dated for about six months. In the wee hours of the morning, he called me. I was startled out of a very deep sleep where I was dreaming about cavorting around with him in our mutual all-togethers. He said he needed to talk to me right now, and that It couldn’t wait. He would not tell me anything over the phone. I was on pins and needless for a half hour before he walked in the door, whereupon he said, “I need to tell you something that will not hold anymore!”

I braced myself for the worst, even opening a box of Kleenex because I was sure I was going to need them. As it turns out, I did need the tissues. He got down on one knee, told me I was the best thing that had ever happened to him, that he had been waiting all of his life to find me, and asked me to marry him. Needless to day, after some initial sobbing in happiness, I agreed!

We have been married three years, and so far its been wonderful, successful and fantastic, I feel like such a lucky women to have Max in my life. We are on a perpetual honeymoon. And to think I found him on an online dating site. Someplace that I had thought of as a last chance place to meet someone!

The saga of Max and I is just starting. But I am eternally grateful to the online dating industry for bringing us together. No matter what you think about them right now, don't ever be shy or embarrassed about joining an online dating site. In my opinion, they are the future of courtship.
Below I have posted a link to one of the resource sites that I used. The sites referenced there are some of the best and are well organized. There are so many to choose from you are sure to find what you want. Good luck in your search!

Relationships Advice for Women

No comments:

Post a Comment